Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Little People" -- Big Power

I'm one of the "little people" a title that condesending politicians and political pundits (that's often an oxymoron) like to assign to all of us "lesser beings". We are also referred to as "Joe Six Pack," "the folks", and "the people in fly over country". We are the souls that don't live in the power centers of New York, Washington DC, or LA. We are the people who pay our taxes, raise our kids , and pray for our country in perilious times. We are the ones who voluntarily open our hearts and our thin, worn wallets when others are hurt or need help. I'm just one of many million hard working citizens, who believe in and work hard to live the American dream, and thank God for the privilege.

I suspect that those who will read my blog will be "little people" also. Unlike the media and elected leadership of our country; I do not pretend to know the interworkings of your minds or the desires of your hearts. I speak for no one but myself. I have no interest in minding your business or your money. I trust you to do that. Because I believe in you. I believe in us, "the little people".

I believe in our innate intelligence, in the goodness of our generous hearts, and the treasured values of our souls. I believe in our work ethic, our ingenuity, our conscience, and our common sense (which, by the way, is no longer common-- but that's for another day).

I believe that many of our elected "public servants" (another, subject for another day) have dismissed us as uninterested, too busy to pay attention, and "not too bright". Much of the media has the same view point. This has lead to an astonishing lack of respect for all of us who have supported them and an even more astonishing sense of entitlement for the powerful. That attitude must change. If it does not the American dream will turn into a nightmare.

Individually we can do little to effect that change but collectively we are unstoppable. The little people have build and sustained this country. We have been blessed with some great leaders, and some not so great, but it has been the unquenchable spirit of the little people that have kept us free and growing. We must tap into that spirit again: to become informed and take the time to let those who represent us know we care and we expect them to do what is RIGHT. Together we can make a difference.

Welcome to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment